Sunday, December 13, 2009

Do we have American Dreams?

When I was in S. Korea, I heard about American Dreams many times. It was all about successful and bright stories. Some of Korean immigrants accumulated a large amount of wealth and some became famous scholars, economists or musicians. I had a great yearning for American Dreams until I came to the USA. The reality was so different. Most of new comers had hard time to communicate with Native Americans. It is also hard to find jobs for them. Companies don’t want to hire F-1 status students (international students). Immigrants had to face and realize that American Dream is far away to achieve.

I am not saying that America is not a good country to live. It is still the best country that provides educational opportunities and safe environments to people. If I have a decent job, I definitely want to live here. But, let’s face the reality. Economy in the U.S. is getting worse and worse and competition in global market is tough. 20 years or 10 years later, it would be much worse. I think we have to redefine what American Dreams are. Maybe we should say, “there is no American dream at all”.

4 comments:

  1. I'll have to disagree with you on this one JinJin...As finance student, you probably understand that any markets experience tribulations (natural process).
    Moreover, by speaking from personal experience, Europe isn't much better (trust me)
    If your goal, is to make some loot, this is the best country to be in, just have to get up after a fall & continue heading on!!!
    Anyways, good luck with whatever you plan to do bro...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe the American Dream is different for everyone. I do think this financial crisis is a wake-up call for many Americans because a lot of people have been living above their means. I also agree with Nick that there are cycles to the economy. We're just going through a down period right now. America is great but we can all do our part to be better stewards of our country. I'm personally looking forward to doing that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for all comments.
    I do believe that someday the U.S. economy will get out of this crisis. But there are so many obstacles to Immigrants. I know I can be one who get out of the obstacles, but I have to sacrifice more than what I have now. To be honesty with you, I am not sure whether my ideas are wrong or correct. So confusing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The American Dream is a total myth in my opinion. there are far too many obstacles and so many social injustices in america that the "American Dream" cannot become a reality unless you are born into prestige and wealth or LUCKY with brilliant. Everyone wants to believe in the American dream but its not a reality for all. you just need to redefine it and go after your own pursuits without being blind sided by what everyone wants you to believe as the American Dream

    ReplyDelete