Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Don't say it although I don't understand it.

If you travel to other countries, what words do you hear or learn first? It could be greetings or simple conversational words, like, “how much?” or “where is the bathroom?” But do you know what is next? I believe it is abusive language or swear words. It is not that you want to learn, but you want to know how people express themselves when they get upset. If someone is cursing at someone in other language that you don’t understand, you cannot just go him or her to ask where is the bathroom. Their response won’t make you feel happy. So it is important to know and speak abusive language when you travel other countries. You probably disagree. I know it sounds a little crazy, but this is based on my own experience.

Last summer, I traveled Europe for couple of weeks. I had had a wonderful time until I met a man in train in Prague. He tried to sell something to people on the train and I didn’t want to know what it was. I didn’t pay attention to him, but at one moment he stood right in front of me. He spoke something that I didn’t understand. I waved my hand to express “I don’t want to buy”. Then, he said something comically with strange gestures and suddenly people in the train laughed at me. How did I feel? Yeah, it was suck. I really wished that I could speak their abusive language and say, “shame on you guys”.

Sometimes I see people in movies say a lot of bad words, especially action or gangster movies. I thought it was cool to know how to swear well. Actually, once I asked an American friend to teach me how to swear. I still think it might be better if I know how to do it. What do you think? I don’t have to try? Is it necessary to know it?

5 comments:

  1. JinJin...I probably know more "abusive" words in other languages, then the actual languages :)
    You know how it is, you hang out with your budies (Albanian, Italian, w.e.) First thing we start talking about languages, I tend to learn those "not so nice" expressions...
    Btw, if you want to learn some American/Russian/Turkish/Hibru "expressions", I can assist you with the process..Lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think its good to know for the purpose of understanding which words are swear words etc. Using them is up to you. Sometimes you can tell without understanding one's language, when one is upset/mad etc. But sometimes hearing the bad words give you an even greater understanding. I also thinking knowing the words may be better for you. It may help you in certain situations like knowing when to avoid someone who might just be going crazy or looking for trouble and rambling on and on etc. you never know what people will do nowadays.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its funny that you say that because when I speak to my friends that speak a different language... I always ask them how to say bad words. :( I guess that is bad but hey it might have helped you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes, it's absolutely necessary to learn "abusive/curse" language especially for a city like nyc where everyone (or their family) is from a different country. i think it's all in good fun though. i believe there are five essential phrases one needs to learn from every language (you already mentioned some of these): how much? where is the toilet? where is the food? how can i contact the police? go to hell!! (or some equivalent).

    ReplyDelete
  5. yes, it is important like eL said, is good to know them, to understand but yes, is up to you use them in your daily language. hmmm btw idn't really know a lot of bad words in english, i know some in spanish!!!
    I want to learn the Russian, Turkish and Italian expressions lolz...just for the undestanding purposes!!

    ReplyDelete