Sunday, November 22, 2009

Technology makes you happy?

We as a group of individuals usually have same cultural rule and ideas towards our world. Following the rule of society and law is one way to have a comfortable life. That’s why it is sometimes hard to stand outside of the rule. Like although you don’t like your mother-in-law, you have to pretend you like her . However, nowadays we as an individual have a weapon to against those rules and law. That’s Internet and new technology like digital camera. Of course, not all generation enjoys these things. Maybe someday in near future when new technology shows up, I will be one who cannot enjoy them.
My question is that do we have to keep following new machine or technology in order to keep up with young generation? I have to ask again, can I keep up with new generation when I am old? Do we have to teach our parents’ generation how to use smart phones or computer? I believe the answer is ‘no’. I once tried to teach my father how to search information on the internet and I soon gave up on him because it seemed like impossible to teach him. I felt sorry for him because he couldn’t follow me even though he tried very hard. I wanted him to take advantage of new technology like internet, but at the same time, I wonder how stressful it was to our parents’ generation to know totally different technology. My reason of giving up on him was that he was born in wrong time and wring place. Why I suddenly think about Outliers?

7 comments:

  1. It's definitely what you make of it. My dad knows how to use the computer just fine, and my mom uses a webcam to talk to her buddies in China (people she may never see again in real life, given our finances). My grandma plays mahjong on her PC.

    I guess it really depends on how willing you want to adapt. I know I wouldn't mind trying out flying vehicles or the PS9 when I'm old.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It took me a few hours to teach my dad how to use a web browser he still doesn’t fully understand it lol, so I just dragged his favorite links on to the desktop directs him to the webpages but I still get asked 50 million questions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once older people know how usuful new technology is, they would get into it. I tought how to text to my grandparents, fisrt time it took so long to send text, but now they master how to do that.(bit slow to type..) Now, it is very usuful for them to communicate with me who is living over the sea. Just let them try in order to take advantage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. JinJin...Don't worry by the time we'll get older, all we have to do is upgrade our chips in the brain (Assuming they would invent something of that sort by that time.)At least I am hoping so...:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mom is ok with the computer she plays solitaire, and she loves bejeweled on facebook, though she has no clue how to sign on. She knows how to use the internet to check the news in Trinidad ..... thats the extent though. I make it a point to keep up with most gadgets so I don't get left behind. So don't worry now that you know its an issue i think you will be fine :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Am not really good teaching, so when i try to teach my mom or my dad how to use the computer is such a hard time!!! I dont think in the future we are going to be so lost with new technology.... we know the basic right now, how to use the computers, the internet,etc. technology is changing but we are able to learn new stuff, but it is a really good idea the "upgrade chip" it will make life easier for all of us...!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG! I go through this everyday with my mother and in my job! It is really really hard. My mother understands some concepts and not the other. On the train, the other day I saw 2 women in their late 40s, early 50s. They both had a iphone, but one did not know how to use it all while the other one was all iphone savy.

    ReplyDelete